Saturday, September 01, 2007

"365 Days Later"

Big Ben can't tell the time...what a silly Ben;)


It's been a whole year since I posted my first ever post on my first ever Blog. This is my 177th post! Not a good number but hey, who's looking eh? Why not a good number? You might see just a number, but it reminds me of the word "ILL"& I don't like "ILL". 771 will be another post that will haunt me for a day, but that one won't come along for another few years yet...if ever. Numbers eh...who needs em?
Anyway my friends, Is it weird or even just slightly odd that the first thing I notice when I write a new post is what number it is? I mean please! What's going on? When I was a child I used to have wide awake dreams (or should that be nightmares?) where numbers would be ruling my life, coming at me on an invisible conveyor belt from one side of my peripheral vision and pass right by my eyes...one ofter the other after the other...continuously and without an end! The area where the numbers were was pitch black and the light showing the numbers came from some unknown origin. I could be wide awake and my eyes would be open or I could fast asleep and they would not go away! The numbers were BIG! Not big like say three million, six hundred thousand & eighty one, but BIG as in actual size! They were gigantic! Taller than any skyscraper ever built with corners that were hard and straight and sharpe! Machined to perfection and perfectly steady in their journey past me! It was a terrible feeling and although they didn't stay in my head for long, I didn't know that at the time. I remember sitting on the edge of my bath when I was very young and saying to my Mum if they would stop. My Mum probably said something like they won't hurt you my dear...they're just numbers. I couldn't make them go away myself either...I just had to wait until they went. Very odd indeed. Why didn't I dream of normal things? Like not being able to run or being chased by a strange man who wanted to do horrible things to me? Maybe numbers freaked me out so much back then because I was useless at maths. I could not and still cannot get my head around bloody numbers! People I understand, or at least I know what they are capable of...but numbers? You can keep your numbers thank you very much!

So there you go. Happy Birthday to my Blog...And to Ample's too:)

It seems I have lost the ability to write interesting posts anymore. I just don't seem to have the concentration to come up with anything more exciting than watching an empty crisp packet floating down the street in the wind. It just sounds so boring going on about my cycling around Richmond Park and what not! And kayaking and going to these public inquiries every now and then. I went to two in two days last week (Wednesday & Thursday) and all I seemed to be able to do was nod off listening to various doctors & professors talking about how it was like to manufacture, distribute & ultimately administer vast quantities of Factor VIII, unbeknownst to them at the time (allegedly) harboring various blood bourne viruses! Terrible I know because it is so important. I was tired though after all the cycling I have been doing. Ros was there too which was nice as always and Matthew (another bleeder) who is funny and easy to get along with. They're all very friendly people as it happens. I like the bits in between the actual reading of evidence where we go down the road to the cafe or pub and chat and stuff. I reckon I only go because of those bits...and the mice on the London Underground. I saw the cutest little mouse on the underground and all I wanted to do was pick it up and put it in my pocket and take it home and care for it forever and ever! But I didn't...because I couldn't quite reach it...just out of my reach...as always. One very good thing though is at least I know it will still be there next time I go on the underground...waiting for me:) I wish they allowed bikes on the underground. It'd be so much easier on my wrecked ankles! I hate walking! I don't do walking very well! It hurts too much at times. If only you could jump into my feet for a little while someday...and find out what it's like. Maybe I could jump into your feet someday and feel what it's like without the pain?

Rub, rub, rub those sore little feet,
Until all the pain has gone to sleep,
Your dreams much longer with less of that yawning,
Feelings of happiness when you wake in the morning:)

What have you all been up to? Have you noticed just how quickly it gets dark in the evenings now! I've had to put my big lights on my bike for the first time since the beginning of the year. I like it when it is dark as you are forced to look only in one spot in front of you...and it feels like you are going so fast too, like you're in a long dark tunnel full of flies and deer and rabbits and grass and dirt and roots and... I'm looking forward to a bit of night riding up in the Surrey Hills soon. It's a totally different place up there in the night time.

Talking of cycling, Lee, Phil & I have a mountain bike marathon scheduled for the 16th September up in North Wales. Not a sponsored ride this time. It is the end race of a series; www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/ruthin.php Not sure what distance to ride yet? Probably not the 100k route as we have to drive back that night to London and definitely not the 25k as it would be far too easy. Either the 50k or 75k. Depending on the weather. I'm very excited as I Love North Wales:)

Just a quick update on the amount raised so far for the North Downs Way ride two weeks ago. You wonderful people have been donating since we did the ride and I am now up to a whopping £697. I'm eagerly awaiting for someone to whack it up to the £700 mark;) Anybody got a spare three squids? My fundraising page is still active if you want to sponsor me. It won't close until around the 18th October. So if you haven't already sponsored me, it isn't too late. Go for it;)

The Blood, Sweat & Tyres crew have raised a total of £1513. Well done guys! Absolutely brilliant!



Jason








(C) JPT 2007.........2710.52 miles.

6 comments:

Chris Vacano said...

Man, oh man! A year, eh! Congrats. Mad props, too, on the fundraising! I hope the Hemophilia Society appreciates your effort.

Cheers!
Chris

Jason Paul Tolmie said...

Tara, Tara go away!
Come back when you have to say,
something bout my Lovely blog,
And not bout cash you lying sod:)

Jaexx


Cheers Chris, I did it mostly for the fun of it really. I don't think £700 is gonna really make that much difference, but as Ms Jane Horrocks say's in the Tescos ad's; "Every Little Helps".

Take it easy dude:)

Not Blank said...

Happy Blog Birthday, to my Blog Brother! I guess my blog passed its first birthday some time ago, I didn't notice. (At my age, I sometimes forget my own birthdays - on purpose). Still obsessing about numbers, I see? ;}

Lucy said...

Walking in your feet......doesn't sound like much fun.

Did you ever see that email of Good Advice going round last year?

"Before you criticise a man, you should walk a mile in his shoes.

Then, you're a mile away when you criticise him. And he can't run after you, cos you have his shoes".

;-)

I have been fundraising for the Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice in S Yorks. Every time someone's phone rings in one of the courses I'm running, I make them pay an on-the-spot cash fine of £5. I have collected £95 so far this year. If I make it to your magnificent £700 I will be really pissed off with the amount of interruptions to my flow...

Lucy

Chris Vacano said...

Hey Jaex,

Maybe Tara's sweet on you! She never comes and posts on my blog. ;-)

I'm feeling some of the same frustrations lately, about not having anything exciting to write... altho Heather and I have talked some more about starting the getting preggers blog.

That photo of Big Ben prompts me to suggest a proper British variant of a well-worn (as opposed to fresh?) cliche: "Even Big Ben is right twice a day." (On most days, that's more than me!)

Cheers, mate!
Chris

ps. Don't underestimate the value of £700 in the right hands. Ms. Horrocks is right!

'A friend who bleeds is better' said...

The waking number dreams sound pretty damn haunting! (Maybe you had a sleep disorder? Have you heard of sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations?)

But yeah numbers, crazy idea this mathematics thing...